This week I dug all but 2 barrels of sweet potatoes and have them curing out in my little tent in the basement. We love sweet potato greens and I will wait until the vines stop producing them to dig the last 2 barrels.

Speaking about barrels I was really excited to find 55 gallon drums at just $2 each. After paying $10 for the ones for my sweet potatoes I was excited about this find. I got 18 barrels to start making my strawberry patch raised beds. What would have cost $180 was just $36. Now the trick will be to get the barrels cut in half and filled with soil to grow strawberries in. I am thinking this will be a project for next year after I am done harvesting my patch.

I am also glad to announce that I got another pair of socks done. They are better than the last pair but still not quite what I would like to fill my sock box with. For an inside day they make me smile to look down at though so that is a plus. I like the swanky patterns on the toe end. I am hoping to get a different pattern to try that is tested and true from a friend.

I am starting to work towards Christmas and realize I may need to get back into the habit of spinning a bit of wool each night so I can get a couple of my presents done on time.

Technology took up a big chunk of our time this week. We need to change our phones because of the big T mobile merge of Sprint and the new 5G capabilities. For Duane and I it is no big deal, but for my mother it has turned out to be a big challenge. She has trouble hearing at times and prefers a flip phone. I hate when technology forces her into uncomfortable situations and wish I could find something that would work better for her. Hopefully the phone we got her will be better when she gets her hearing aids fixed. I wish things would slow down so that she didn’t have to change phones. We ended up going to Fort Wayne to figure out what was available and then 2 days later with her. It was nice seeing her and having dinner together but I wish it could have been for a different reason.

I got more salsa canned this week. I just chop up a bunch of peppers, onions and cilantro and add tomatoes that are peeled, cored, seeded and chopped. I was a little short on tomatoes so went to the basement to discover over the summer I had used more of them than I thought I would. I remember me saying a little prayer that I could sure use more tomatoes. This was on Thursday and that night Duane had a hair appointment. Right after he left I got a call from his stylist and she wanted to know if I wanted a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes. Over and over this year the Lord has provided for us when I just sighed a short prayer asking for something. This week he has been speaking to me about providing for me just what I need.

Friday my neighbor Gina Rockey came over with her daughter, son-in-law, granddaughter and grandson to get pumpkins. The whole reason I plant pumpkins is for my grandchildren and to watch others little ones walk through the vines looking for the perfect pumpkins for them. Just something about their faces when they find the one they like, or some years when they walk up to a pumpkin as big as they are. I just enjoy seeing the joy on their faces.

Today I got the last of the beans harvested off of the garden fence and some from in the garden before it started to rain.  I have around 20 to 25 feet of bean rows in the two gardens left to pick. I had been watching a head of cauliflower and it was ready to pick too. I also picked a blue hubbard squash from the seed I got from Jo Pullen. The bugs were starting to eat through the stem and I am hoping it is still good.

 I was hoping to have a recipe for a white bean hummus with basil that would fit in our low fat vegan meals, however what I thought would be good following a recipe and doing my usual to eliminate the fat was a big fail. I threw one batch away and the other one is edible but not something I would take to a pitch in or share with guests LOL. I will make some wraps with it and lots of other veggies in them next week and not waste the good protein in my beans. 

Mr Duane has started cutting wood to keep us warm this winter and spent time working on our dump truck along with trying to help his technologically challenged wife and mother-in-law move into this new season with our phones. He also took me and the trailer over to Ft. Wayne to get the barrels I bought.

As we wind down tonight I hear Mr. Duane out in the kitchen heating up supper while I finish typing this. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful husband who works so hard and still helps me out. We are looking forward to tomorrow and being back with our home church brothers and sisters praising God. God is good and I am blessed here on the Wade Homestead.