Monday we started out heading into town for noodles and potatoes. An old neighbor had hip replacement surgery and we wanted to bless them with a meal. I came home and started the meal. Before the meal was done we had a visit from our old renters. The kids wanted to walk the woods and see the pumpkins growing and the little boy wanted to eat all the little red tomatoes in our garden. He used to love to come up and snitch tomatoes when he lived here. I am so proud of their mom, how she has picked up the pieces and is making a good life for them. It was fun having them here on the farm again for a visit.

After they left we took chicken and noodles, mashed potatoes, and green beans to our old neighbor. It was fun reminiscing and catching up with them. By the time we got home it was time for supper and a quiet evening.

Tuesday I was up early and got everything ready to take our apples to the cider mill. My friends were here at 9 and we were off and running. It was fun having them along and having her husband with us made unloading the apples into the hopper so much easier. It was fun seeing old friends at the mill. I was amazed at the outcome. Our 9½ bushels of apples yielded 37½ gallons of apple cider. We stopped on the way home and got some groceries and again I was thankful for friends helping me unload the cider and taking their part of it. That evening I was exhausted and Duane started running a fever.

We were supposed to go take care of our grandchildren this weekend so Wednesday morning we gave Duane’s daughter a heads up about not feeling good and she pushed us to go get a Covid-19 test. We ended up being positive and they scheduled us for Regeneron treatment on Thursday morning. I was pretty sick and Duane just had mild, cold like symptoms.

We went for our infusion Thursday morning and I was pretty sick that day after we got home. It was like the stomach flu for me and I slept a big part of the day. I ended up with a fever of 103 and took an Advil to bring it down. I usually don’t like to take anything unless I start to get a really high temp. I believe the fever helps our immune system fight any virus. By evening I started to feel better and the next day I was out working in the garden.

Thursday we were also blessed by my friend Teresa Akey who did a grocery run for us and my friend Rachel who called and checked on us offering to do the same for us. Teresa did not only get us groceries needed, but also blessed us with fresh produce and flowers from her garden to brighten our day.  I was also blessed by my long time friend Joanne. She and her husband are the couple who went with me to press cider. She checked on me often letting us know what we needed to do for our symptoms. They had both been through Covid-19 and she is a nurse. Her advice was appreciated. It felt good to know someone was keeping tabs on us as we went through this.

Friday I dug sweet potatoes and worked on setting up their curing racks in the basement. Under the potting tables in the basement, I set up my potato and onion racks so that the air can circulate around them. They are 18” x 36” wooden frames with hail screen bottoms. I line them with cloth to protect the tender potato skins from getting scratched up. As I filled each rack I put blocks of wood on their corners and added another rack on top of the one filled. My 50 ft. row yielded 7 full racks of sweet potatoes. Most of these were bigger potatoes.  I also make a place for a heater with water pans on top of it and tent this all in to keep the area warm and humid around the sweet potatoes for 10 days.  During the curing time the starches in the sweet potatoes turns to sugars and gets that wonderufl sweet flavor sweet potatoes are known for. I am amazed at our harvest this year. They are big beautiful potatoes. God is definitely blessing us abundantly, above and beyond measure. I am so much more thankful for my health and being able to get out and work in the garden too.

Saturday I canned white soup beans in the morning. Duane was out and loves his white soup bean and sauerkraut sandwiches (with a touch Jalapeño catsup) . I was also feeling pretty tired so I took some little cat naps while the beans were processing. By 2 in the afternoon they were canned and I was feeling the energy to get out and finish digging the row of sweet potatoes I had started. After a good soak in the tub to get rid of all the garden dirt I got dressed and went down and picked my red raspberries that had been let go this week. They were sweet and ripe and I got a pretty nice desert for our Sunday dinner.

Duane worked Saturday morning to make up for hours lost when we went to be tested and for our infusion. At noon with his 40 hours in while working from home, he was also feeling energetic and unloaded the 118 cement blocks we had on the trailer, along with doing some other chores around the farm. His blood sugars that morning had returned to normal which is amazing because normally when he gets a cold or sick this takes a week or more to happen. Here we are on Sunday filled with praises towards God for his protection and healing in our lives. We both slept a little over 9 hours last night. We woke up to a beautiful Sunday morning more thankful than ever for simple things like a bowl of oatmeal and fresh berries for breakfast. I am also thankful that though quarantined we were still able to be a part of the online service and praises of our brothers and sisters in the congregation where we normally worship. Our pastor preached about the friends who lowered their friend through the roof to Jesus so he could heal him. This is how I feel about this week as we fought this virus. I know all over I had brothers and sisters in Christ bringing us before the healer. During my worst symptoms I could look and see all the people holding us up or should I say lowering us down before the Lord. What a blessing it is to have so many wonderful brothers and sisters in Christ. We are still fighting mild cold symptoms so thankful it is not any worse than this. God is good and we are blessed above and beyond measure here on the Wade Homestead.